How to Import and Sell Perfumes & Cosmetics in the UAE?
- The personal care and beauty product market in the UAE
How to Import and Sell Perfumes & Cosmetics in the UAE?
UAE has evolved into a global trade and logistics hub. The personal care and beauty product market in the UAE is a growing segment with high demand from the local UAE market.
There is a projected growth rate of 4% between 2018 to 2023 for the Beauty Products segment as per TechSci Research.
UAE Government regulates the Cosmetic Sector to ensure consumer safety and to maintain consistent product quality.
The imported, as well as locally manufactured Personal Care & Perfumes, have to get clearance from the authorities concerned before selling in the UAE market.
Things to Know before Importing and Selling Cosmetics & Perfumes in UAE
1. Legal Scope for Cosmetics Business in UAE
The Cosmetic Law and the Fragrance Law governs the Cosmetic & Perfumes Segment in UAE.
The sale of Cosmetics and Perfumes in UAE is subject to certain approvals from the Government of UAE to ensure customer safety.
2. Safety Requirements to Follow Before Selling Cosmetics in UAE
The Cosmetic Sector in UAE must comply with the general safety requirements of the Gulf Standard Organization (GSO).
GSO Compliance ensures the products are free of any prohibited substance, restricted items in UAE.
Also, the product must be safe to use for humans and no effects on health when used normally. There must be no change in the properties of the products under normal circumstances during their shelf life in the shop.
3. Product Packaging and Wrapping
Product Packaging and wrapping has to be compliant with the UAE GSO standards.
The products have to be packed in appropriate and clean containers that are free of sharp edges and are properly sealed/closed. Also, the quantity mentioned has to be tested and must clear the quality checks.
Labeling Standards to Follow for Cosmetic Brands to Sell in UAE
Labeling is the most important part, it needs to follow certain guidelines such as:
- Clear font and easy to remove
- Name of the product and brand
- Name and Address of manufacturer/supplier/distributor
- Country of Origin
- Nominal Content of the product
- Expiry date – Best before date, or period after opening
- Conditions of use, warning statements, and precautionary information
- Batch number/lot code
- product function
Another key aspect in UAE is the English and Arabic Print for the following sections –
- Product function/how to use,
- Warning instructions and precautionary information
- Storage instruction for safe use
Information on the label must be scientifically or laboratory-verified, must be accurate and not misleading.
4. Certificate of Conformity from ESMA for Cosmetic Products in UAE
The Personal Care segment is governed by the Emirates Standardization and Metrological Authority (ESMA).
The Beauty Products and the personal care items have to get clearance from the ECAS Certificate of Conformity to be shipped to UAE.
The ECAS Approval has to be notified to the Customs Department to import the specific products to the country and distributed them to the consumers.
To know more about ESMA Registration and issuing Certificate of Conformity for Beauty products, read: ESMA Certification in UAE
5. Product Registration from the UAE Municipality
The Imported items and the locally manufactured perfume or cosmetic products must be registered with the relevant municipality in the UAE before selling them in the market.
There will be sample testing and approval from the authorities which will make it eligible for selling to the public.
Only those companies based in UAE are eligible to register the products with ESMA and the specific Municipalities.
How Can Foreign Brand Start Selling cosmetics & Perfumes in the UAE?
Those international companies looking for selling their products in UAE must be associated with an authorized local distributor.
The local distributors in UAE will facilitate the imports, register products with ESMA & Municipality, and distribute the products to the end customers.
Alternatively, Foreign brands can establish a mainland company or a Free Zone Company and strengthen their local presence in the UAE.
Aurion will assist you in the end-to-end cosmetic company setup in UAE. Starting from documentation, trade license issuance, ESMA Clearance, product registration in Municipality, customs code registration, and more, our expert team will be with you.
To know more about ESMA Clearance, Talk to Our Team right away!
Cosmetic Product Registration in Dubai – Things to know
There are certain procedures in place to regulate the product quality, maintain the international standard, and support the growing cosmetic sector in UAE.
The Government has listed a set of guidance and procedure to be followed by cosmetic companies for selling the products in the UAE.
1. Product Registration Rules and Regulations
Before distributing the products in the local market, the product registration must be completed with ESMA and at the specific municipality in UAE.
The products must be individually registered with the specific municipality in UAE where the company is based. Aurion will assist you with product registration.
The product must pass through the recommended health & safety specifications (Consumer Product Safety Section) accordingly the municipality
In the event of product rejection, the Product Assessment Report is issued stating the product cannot be distributed in the UAE.
2. The validity of Product Registration in Dubai
The product registration is valid for 5 years from the date of issuance of the product registration certificate.
After expiry, the product will be subjected to a review by the municipality and extent the registration if meeting all the guidelines.
The Company Trade License, Product Registration form, product sample, clearances, GMP certification, and ECAS approval has to be submitted to the Dubai Municipality for issuing the product registration certificate.
3. Procedures for Cosmetic Product Registration in Dubai
There is a list of supporting documents, authorizations, and clearances required for obtaining the green signal to sell cosmetic products in UAE
Our expert business consultants will assist you with the entire process of company formation for your cosmetic company in UAE.
Steps Involved in the Cosmetic Product Registration in Dubai
- The company should have a valid Trade License with the related activity of Cosmetics Trading. The company also has to be registered with the Dubai Municipality.
- Submit the Product Registration Service Application to start the process and pay the fee.
- Our team will assist you in the form fills, facilitate fee payment, and prepare the required documentation
- Submit a copy of the valid label assessment of the product that needs to be registered in the Municipality.
Document Approval required for Registering the Product with Dubai Municipality
The following document approvals have to be submitted to the authorities:
- Certificate of Free Sales (Attested by the Government Authority in the Country of Origin)
- Ingredient Report/Laboratory Test Report (Signed and/or Stamped by the manufacturer or brand owner)
- Analysis report signed and/or stamped by the manufacturer or brand owner)
- Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) certificate (required for all locally manufactured products)
The products have to pass through the compliance test of the Dubai Municipality. Those corresponding documents of the ‘Tested Okay’ products will be uploaded to the system and the product will be registered.
The Municipality then issues the Product Registration Certificate. Now, the product is ready to be sold in the local UAE market.
To know more about Importing and Selling Cosmetic Products in UAE, talk to our expert Business Consultants right away!
Contact Us: Aurion Business Consultants